Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Stop or Prevent Bleeding Gums



As you grow older a major dental issue is bleeding gums. If not effectively addressed, then you can lose otherwise good teeth. Contrary to what you may believe, regular brushing of teeth and even use of mouth wash are not likely to sustain healthy, non-bleeding gums. I have been fortunate to have a first rate dental hygienist who greatly motivated me to adopt some good habits. On my recent regular visit she gave me glowing compliments on how terrific my gums are, in stark contrast to many years of seeing bleeding gums when my teeth were cleaned. Let me share the secret to getting great gum health.

But first, note that one of the best sources of health information points out that: "More than three-quarters of American adults over age 35 get periodontal (gum) disease. While most people with gum disease have the less severe form, called gingivitis, between 5% and 15% have a much more serious type of gum disease known as periodontitis."

I learned to regularly use, almost always after eating a meal, three products that I strongly recommend. First, is a brass metal type tool with a rubber pointed tip that you use to remove food particles from between your teeth. You can find such gum stimulators at any drug store. They cost a few dollars and the rubber tip can be replaced once it gets a dull end. You insert the tip at the gum line between teeth and move downward, and repeat a few times. Clean the tip with a tissue to remove food particles.

The second and my favorite product is a wooden dental stick. There are many manufacturers of this kind of product. The have a pointed end and a triangular cross-section. One thing I have learned is that you want to use a thin type product that fits very easily between teeth. Most of what you find at a drug store may be too thick. You want a product that explicitly says thin. The other thing I learned on a trip to Norway is to use sticks made from birch wood. These are strong and durable, while other types break too easily. By sliding the stick in and out between teeth you accomplish two things. The wood helps clean out food and plaque. Please note that there are some plastic type dental sticks and picks, but these are very inferior, in my opinion, to the wood types, because though they may stimulate gums they do not remove plaque as well. Just learn to frequently remove any debris from the wooden stick. You may be amazed at how much stuff the wood removes from between your teeth.

Third, you want to use a plastic flosser. The device contains a short length of flossing string held rigidly in a plastic frame. This tool is a much easier approach to flossing that trying to use a much longer length of flossing string held between your fingers. You can buy packages of these flossers at a low cost. I get them at a dollar store. They can last for a number of cleanings. You should move the string up and down, from the gum to the end of teeth; this is better than just moving the string in and out. These also stimulate gums and remove some debris. Here too you can wipe the string clean between flossings.

I usually use all three types of tools. I take them when I travel on vacations. I am always amazed that all three individually help remove different food particles. And, most importantly, all three stimulate gums, which is exactly what you want to do. All the removal of particles and plaque keep your teeth cleaner with less likelihood of getting cavities. And you will avoid swollen, red or tender gums. I think these tactics are far better than using expensive rinse products for achieving gum health.

Odds are great that your dentist or hygienist can give you free samples of all three type products I have found so effective. Get into some good habits and never see bleeding gums.

No comments:

Post a Comment